Monday 24 February 2014

The Measure of Her

Angela pulled her mother’s shopping list from the pocket in her home- made summer dress.  A reel of Sylko in Buckingham Lilac was at the top of the list. The stitching was coming loose at the hem of her dress and this would be used to make the required repairs. Next was a reel of Peacock Blue for mending the tear in her gymslip, then a box of Dorcas pins to replace all those that invariably disappeared.  Finally, a new tape measure was required.  One with inches on both sides.  This last instruction was underlined twice.
“All of our tape measures are metric on one side and imperial on the other” the tiny haberdashery junior whispered to her. “It’s how they’re made now.”
“Haven’t you got any imperial only ones left over somewhere in the back?” Angela almost pleaded.
“I haven’t seen any at all recently.”
An older assistant appeared from behind a curtain and began a brisk tidy of the fabrics.  Her glasses, which she wore on a chain around her neck, bounced on her matronly bosom as she worked.
“Oh dear.  What am I going to do?  Do you know of anywhere else I might try?”
“What’s the problem, dear?” The matron swept up to Angela.
“My Mum needs a replacement tape measure – she snapped her old one – and she really wants one with inches on both sides.  She’ll not be happy at all if I take one with centimetres on.”
“I know just how she feels.  I can’t deal with all this metrication either.  But can’t she just use one side of the tape?”
“She says it bothers her to always have to be looking which side to use.”
“Why don’t you try Hatchett’s round the back of the cathedral?  Or look in the flea market?”

Angela left the department store, thoughts of the incident on Sunday driving her on. The screaming from the bedroom that had taken her upstairs to find her mother frenziedly chopping at her new tape measure.

“I’m not having that!” she had squealed at Angela “I measured my waist and it said 88! Frightened me out of my wits, damn centimetres. I’m not having THAT!”


http://www.etsy.com/shop/SewsAttic

No comments:

Post a Comment